Square Dance Club
Interlocked Squares offers a C-1 class every few years. We are planning to start our next class this fall!
- 12 & 19 October 2017 - Open Nights
- 26 October 2017 - Regular Class Schedule Begins (not an open night)
The class expected to run through May.
The fee is $175, payable on the first regular class night (26 October).
If you think you might be interested in taking this class, please let us know by sending a note to email@example.com.
Our classes are intended for dancers who already are able to dance full "all position" A-2 (e.g., as called at the monthly PACE dances). Current C-1 dancers who want to sharpen their skills and former C-1 dancers who want a complete review are also welcome.
Students are expected to study the definitions of the calls to be taught each week.
We recommend the definitions published by Vic Ceder, which are available both online and in the form of printed books:
Additional resources that you may find helpful:
- Dancing and Studying Hints from Vic Ceder
If you haven't read these hints before, please read them now! (And if you haven't read them recently, you will find it useful to review them.)
- Basic Challenge Dancing Skills from Top Cats
An outline of the skills you need to dance Challenge successfully.
- Alphabetical C-1 List
Calls, concepts, formations, and modifying terms in one list.
- CALLERLAB C-1 List
The list in the format published by CALLERLAB.
- CALLERLAB C-1 Definitions
Not as informative as the Ceder definitions, but "official".
- Taminations - animations showing the calls from various formations
To view the animation for a call online, click on the C-1 tab at the top of the main Taminations page.
Apps for iPhone, Android, and other devices also available for free download.
- The Big Five
Scanned copy of definition book by John Sybalsky and Bill Davis, widely used in the years before the Ceder definitions became available.
- Ben Rubright's "Pocket Reference"
Warning: This is fairly old, so it doesn't match exactly the current list and definitions.
- Bill Klein's "Study Cards"
More recent set of short definitions formatted to be cut and used as flash cards.
- MATERIAL RELATING TO SPECIFIC CALLS
- See also the list of articles about Challenge dancing on the Resources page.
Because this is a fast-moving class, not all Advanced dancers will be ready for it. To be better prepared for -- and to do better while attending -- this class we recommend:
- Attending relatively challenging A-2 dances, such as the Friday dances held monthly by PACE.
- Regularly attending Stanford Quads (APD Plus with star tips) on Sunday evenings.
- Continuously studying definitions (either online or by ordering the book), both of calls/concepts already covered and of those coming up soon.